Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Training update

Spring Training is winding down and it so hard for me to believe. It just seems like yesterday that I was getting a tow off of the side of the highway. For me it’s been a successful spring so far. I’ve been working extra hard getting ready for the year, not only in the cages but also on my mental game and physically strengthening my body. I’ve also been trying to pick the minds of some of the guys in the organization who have done well in the past. I talked to Logan Morrison, the Florida State League MVP, about his approach to his at bats and he told me that through 130 games last year he only gave away five at bats at most. Giving away an at bat would consist basically of stepping into the box without being fully engaged mentally in the at bat. I’ve been making sure that throughout Spring Training I make a habit to only step into the box when I am ready and my mind is 100 % in the right frame of mind.

I’m about 30 at bats into Spring Training and I’m slowly making the progress that I’ve been looking for. For me the hardest part of hitting is timing. When I’m struggling I can always link it back to not being on time, late or early. At the start of the games I was all right with making an out as long as I was seeing a lot of pitches and having a productive at bat. Lately it’s been paying off for me as I think that the more pitches that I saw early on have led to more successful at bats lately. So I guess if you were wondering how things were going for me on the field, you now know. I’ve made some progress in the areas where I’ve wanted to and I’m still working for the start of the season.

Spring Training days can be very long and drawn out at times. I usually wake up around 6:00 and get to the field at around 6:45. My day at the field usually comes to an end around 6:30 PM. Obviously there’s a lot of time in between spent with teammates. I’ve made an effort to become closer with more of the guys in the organization. When you have people that you get along well with around you, it makes the day much more enjoyable. The group that I’m in, the high a group, consists of guys anywhere from 19 to 28, but everyone has one thing in common and that’s the dream of making it all the way to the big leagues. For the most part we are all in the same boat, and everyone can relate to how things are going for you at any given point.

One of the down sides to becoming close with someone in an organization is that you never know when that locker right next to you might become unoccupied. If you can remember back to last year my roommate, Jordan, was released towards the beginning of Spring Training. It’s such a tough thing to ponder because you never want the thought of getting released creep into your mind. I always like to think that I’m making a good impression and that I’m going to make a team but the realist in me realizes that at some point I will most likely get a tap on my shoulder to see the assistant general manager or that call in the off season from a higher up in the organization. I don’t worry about all that stuff though, I ease my mind by working hard and giving it all I have and that gives me the satisfaction of knowing that people will see that and respect the way that I go about my business.

Minor league baseball players can resemble young high school girls if you were to ever overhear a conversation between a group of players. Before our 9 AM meeting begins everyone stand around in the outfield in groups talking about who got released, who’s on the chopping block, and who is safe. I can always expect to get out to the outfield and hear someone ask me if I had heard about what happened to so and so. You never want to hear your name come up in those conversations or in the conversations about who is about to get released. In my opinion the organization has their mind about 90% of the way made up before Spring Training even begins. During my first year a guy who had a mediocre previous year hit three home runs and the next day he was let go. It’s hard for me to believe that he was given a fair shot during Spring Training to make a team. There are plenty of stories like that and everyone always seems to have an excuse as to why they weren’t given a fair opportunity. I’ve heard about every excuse in the book and they all are exactly that; excuses. Our manage last year told us that you can go through your whole life blaming the world for your misfortunes but you won’t ever get anywhere until you take responsibility for the actions and reactions in your life.

One of the great things for me about Spring Training is getting to be close to the big leaguers and seeing behind the scenes action. I still feel like the same kid, walking around the facility, that I was when I was 14 going down to Spring Training in Peoria, Arizona. I’m as big of a fan as any of the players that I’ve encountered. A lot of guys are fans but they don’t ask for autographs or try and talk to the big leaguers because they don’t want to look like a little kid basically. I, however have realized that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I’m going to take full advantage of it. If you can remember my blogs from last year I got pictures taken with various big leaguers. I’ve continued getting pictures this year. About a week ago I got a chance to meet Ryan Howard and my new favorite player, Chase Utley. They were both really grounded and down to earth. I talked to Howard about being from Missouri and I found out that he played on the St. Louis Lafayette basketball team that lost to Liberty in the 1998 state championship game. Utley was a real quiet guy and he seemed to be really surprised that someone would want a picture and a little chat with him.

A few days ago I got the chance to meet Hunter Pence, ya that’s his real name, weird right?!?! When I introduced myself I told him my name and he didn’t believe me. If I was in his position I don’t think I would believe it either. The chance of someone having a name so similar to mine is ridiculous. He was a great guy; he asked me about how my career was going and asked about my personal life. It’s a rare thing to talk to a big leaguer and for them to take such an interest in your life. Just think of how neat of a story they could make if Hunter Mense played against Hunter Pence in the big leagues, anything can happen.

There is only about a week left in Spring Training and I feel like I’m finally getting to a point where I am fully prepared for the season. Even though Spring Training has been shorter this year the organization has done a good job of getting everything in while keeping everyone fresh. I’ve also already had my first visit when my mom came down earlier this week and stayed for a few days. It was great to see her but I always feel so bad because I’m so busy all the time that I don’t get to spend as much time with her as I like to. It’s the same thing with Amber, but I think all the special people in my life realize how busy I am and are able to keep that in perspective.

I will definitely blog again in a few days and update everyone on my status as a baseball player and a player in the game of life. I hope everyone out there is doing well and you guys have no idea how much it means to me that you actually enjoy reading what I have to write!

“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think they were impossible,”
-Vince Lombardi

3 comments:

Kris said...

Wow..didnt know that about ryan howard..that must be awsome to meet all those guys. Ill never forget going to royals games and always trying to meet the players and get autos with you and now you get to MEET them and have a chat. Very neat, I love the stories about you meeting MLB players..good blog

Anonymous said...

Another excellent blog!! Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Waiting for your next update! You are a great writer!! Love Mom