Friday, December 12, 2008

The Restaurant business

This off season so far has been a very humbling one to say the least. Throughout my whole life I feel like I've been known as a "baseball player". When you have that as a label people look at you a little different and treat you a little different. For the last three months I've been known as a "server". For the first time in my life I took on the challenge of being a waiter at one of my favorite restaurants, Rancho Grande Cantina. I love all the people I work with and I have a great time every time I come into work...except when I have to deal with customers have no consideration and respect for people trying to make an honest living.

It's definitely been a learning experience dealing with different sorts of people from table to table. You can go from one table who is grateful for everything that you do for them to another table who could care less as to how they treat you. I've never felt this way towards servers because I've always understood that they're trying their hardest, but sometimes it just seems as if people that you serve look down upon you because you are a server. It doesn't really make sense to me. I used to always try and find the good in people, and I do feel that there is good in everyone, but some people give you no other choice than to think that they are the scum of the Earth. We have a lot of regulars that come into the restaurant and you would be surprised at how everyone is remembered in the restaurant. You have your people who tip well, the ones who don't tip well, you have nice and considerate people, you also have the other end of the spectrum, you have needy people, and you have people who love to throw fits. For me I have absolutely no problem serving someone who doesn't tip a lot as long as they are nice people and don't try to make my life a living hell. Here's another side note for when you go to restaurants. If you appreciate the way that your server treated you, then let them know. It absolutely makes my day whenever someone notices how hard we work trying to please our tables. Another piece of advice is never get upset with your server at something that they can't control! I've never really understood how people can complain to their server about the food not tasting right. It's like they think that we get their drinks, fill their chips and salsa, take their order, and make their food! Just remember that servers are trying to make an honest living and most of the money that they make is based upon the tips that they make and if they did a good job make sure that they know that you appreciated their services.

I hope that didn't seem like I don't like my job, because that's the furthest thing from the truth. I like being in a setting where I get to interact with all kinds of different people. I've gotten to talk to a bunch of people that I haven't seen in years and catch up on how everything is going. It's also shed some light for me onto how some people just aren't nice! It's a hard thing for me to imagine and to comprehend but it really is the truth.

Come back in a few days, I've got a bone to pick with Beyonce...

I love all the comments and the verses. I love looking up new verses and I love feedback letting me know that people actually enjoy hearing what I have to say. Keep 'em coming!

Meet someone with an open mind, let them persuade to you who they really are.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

being a server i know EXACTLY how you feel. i have dealt with the best of people and the worst.
it kind of lets you see all sorts of people. but you have to love it, especially being a people person.

Anonymous said...

i think that at some point every person should have to either serve food or work in retail. once you have done it i promise you will have new outlook on how you approuch life. i really dont think that people realize what its really like to deal with the public. it takes a certain kind of person to be able to do it.

Anonymous said...

servers have the hardest jobs. I knew a girl who was a server and when she went to places she would start out with an amount in her head about how much she was going to tip. She would take money off for how many times they screwed up or didnt refill her drink or whatever. I thought she was crazy for that I mean she of all people should know what its like and tip them well. I try and at least tip well even if they didnt do the greatest job because like you said they are trying to make a living... although some are just trying to make it in acting or because news people but thats different all together.... Its nice being able to help people and be there when they need it I know how you feel... keep up the good writing

Anonymous said...

It Amazes me who you are, I never would have guessed that you would be this type of person, people dont realize how lucky they are when they meet you.

franchise business in the philippines said...

Opening your own business is an exciting venture. One of the first things you should do to ensure your success is write a business plan.

sugar