Saturday, March 27, 2010

Got moved down (not a bad thing though)

What a beautiful day it is down here in Jupiter, Florida...I wish I could say that I was feeling as good as the weather, but I'm not.

About a week ago my allergies started catching up to me a little and that let to congestion and a sore throat and subsequently aches and pains. But I'm still alive and breathing and getting to PLAY baseball all day long!

Let me get you guys up to date as to what's been going on around here for the past week. The trickle down effect is well underway...and what does that mean you ask?? Well here's an explanation. When big league spring training starts they bring in a bunch of pitchers to cover the amount of innings that they play and they also bring in extra position players so that the big league guys aren't playing the full nine innings right off the bat.
Well as spring training goes on the need for those extra guys is less and less as the big league team nears where they want their roster to be at the start of the season. Usually what happens when a guy is sent down from big league camp they are put with the triple a group which then causes a guy from the triple a group to be bumped down to the double a group and so on. About a week ago a couple outfielders were sent down to minor league camp so Brandon Tripp and I were bumped down to the double a group. We knew it was going to happen at some point no matter how well we did, so it wasn't a big deal for either one of us.

Yesterday was my most successful day at the plate during our spring games thus far and I only had one hit. Let me explain this one also. My first at bat I walked (always a good thing), my second at bat I lined out to right center, my third at bat I had a line drive base hit between second and third, and my final at bat I lined out to the centerfielder. So if you add that all up I ended the day 1-3 but for me I took it as a day where I had 4 very positive at bats. I'm going to try and take my momentum from yesterday and keep it rollin'.

One of the cool things about spring training is that I get to see some big leaguers in action and get to get some autographs/pictures with some of them. Yesterday I came into the locker room after I got done with my lunch and saw Hanley Ramirez sitting right next to my locker talking with some of the Latinos. I, of course, asked him for a picture and he obliged. But one of my teammates, Tom Koehler, was a little more hesitant. I had to talk him into it, but once he got the picture I think he was pretty happy because it's not everyday that we have a chance to take a picture with one of the best players in the big leagues.

So right now I'm just sitting in a back room chatting with one of my teammates from last year, Matt Dominguez, and our clubhouse manager from last year, Chris Petrakis. But it's getting to be that time where I need to start getting ready for our afternoon game. Hopefully everyone out there is happy and healthy. Check back in a couple days, I'll try and get something out there.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

TiKo said...

I am so pumped I was mentioned in this beautiful blog, and yes I am so happy you pursuaded me to get the picture taken with H2R. Good Post, think he is a little bigger then you though.

TiKo said...

I am so pumped I was mentioned in this beautiful blog, and yes I am so happy you pursuaded me to get the picture taken with H2R. Good Post, think he is a little bigger then you though.

Heave-D said...

Good blog. I thought you got a haircut???