Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A little miscommunication

My alarm went off at it's usual 6:15 today but I really struggled to get up. I wanted so bad to just turn it off and wait for Curry to wake up but I just couldn't get myself to do it.

I got to the field early once again and got in some shoulder exercises and a little core work. At one point I was sharing the weight room with Chris Coghlan, the reigning rookie of the year, and Hanley Ramirez, the reigning national league batting champ. Not bad company at all.

I once again grabbed my book after seeing the doctor for my exzyma and settled into a nice, quiet place in the back. I began to find some peace in the fact that I'm ready for whatever may happen. I wandered back to the locker room after about 20 minutes of reading to find a couple of my former teammates packing up their stuff, they had been released and couldve possibly played their last baseball games ever.

I got into a little bit of a confusing situation today. When I got to the field, the work groups had been udated and I was still in group two as an outfielder. But then the high A group posted their lineup and I was on it, hitting sixth and playing left field. I figured that since I was starting for the high A team I should probably be with them for the entire day, I was wrong. We went through our morning stretch and catch and began on our defensive work. After about five minutes I was called in to talk to the field coordinator, my heart started racing. As I ran in he didn't say a word, just pointed over to the double A field. Turned out I was on their lineup too, batting seventh and playing center.

So I ended up catching the bus at a little past 11:00 to head to St. Lucie. My goal today at the plate was to get my foot down slow and early and try to slow everything down. My first at bat I took the first fastball right down the middle, I wasn't ready and it seemed like it came in at 100 mph, mission unaccomplished. I stepped out and toldysrlf to start earlier and be aggressive. You can guess what the next pitch was, a changeup down and away that I swung through. I was now sitting at 0-2 and I was ready to battle my butt off. The next pitch I took, a changeup down and away identical to the previous pitch. It was now 1-2 and I was feeling more and more comfortable with each pitch. The final pitch was a changeup down and in that I lined off the first baseman, I was now 1-1 on the day with a positive at bat in my back pocket and my confidence starting to increase.

Tonight we treated ourselves to some Hooters hot wings, a welcome change to the everyday voucher choice, and a nice change of scenery. We were also able to spend some quality time with one of our teammates who was released. He seemed to be in pretty good spirits which was definitely an uplifting site, knowing that he was confident that he could fall back on something.

Tomorrow should be a busy and interesting day, I'll be sure and let you guys know how it goes.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog. Keep up the good work!!