Wednesday, March 12, 2008

1-3...and I wore out the first baseman.

Today was the best days that I’ve experienced in a very long time. For those of you that don’t know I missed all of last season after I dislocated my shoulder and had to have surgery after diving for a ball down the right field line. Now you know why I haven’t played in a game since last April, until today. I was so excited once I got to the field, with the knowledge that I was going to get to play in a competitive game once again. During our morning meeting with our team our manager, Edwin Rodriguez, read of the lineup for this afternoon’s game and that lineup had me hitting lead off and playing centerfield. I was telling Jordan that I think they (the coaches and minor league personnel) realize how much work I’ve put in and that I’ve gotten faster because last year I was never really given the opportunity to play center. Needless to say I was pretty happy that I was starting and playing center and leading off. The morning session was short; we worked on popup priorities, took and infield/outfield, and took batting practice. Once we were done for the morning we went inside and we had our daily subs.

Lunch time was over and 12:45 rolled around and my teammates and I made our way over to the Cardinals fields. We had a quick stretch as a team, played some catch, and it seemed like in no time it was time for the game to begin. My first at bat I worked the count to 3-1 and swung at a borderline pitch up and in and hit a ground ball to the first baseman. I felt good throughout the at bat and hit the ball somewhat hard, I just didn’t stay through it. My next at bat I came up with runners on first and second with no outs. I got the count to my advantage at 2-1 and I hit another ground ball to the first baseman except this time it bounced over his head, scoring the run from second base. I hit this ball pretty hard but just straight into the ground. My final at bat I came up with one out and a runner on first. I was pretty anxious throughout the entire day and my last at bat showed it. I swung at the first pitch and once again hit a hard ground ball to the first baseman. I ended up grounding into a double play. When I look back on my 1-3 day I think that I had an alright day at the plate. I know that once I get some more live pitching under my belt, the balls that I hit today will all end up being line drives in the right center gap. I played 5 innings, hopefully tomorrow I’ll get to play a full game.

One of the most encouraging things of the day for me happened when I was on first after my single. The next batter hit a line drive to second base and I was caught off the base and was doubled up at first. It was a pretty tough read, but the thing that I was happy with was that I slid back into first base head first. Ever since I dislocated my shoulder I’ve been worried that I wasn’t going to be able to dive head first. Right before I dove back I had second thoughts in my head about diving but I did it anyways and it ended up turning out alright. Hopefully the next time that this situation arises I won’t have to think twice about it.

Movie Update:
Broken- I thought this was a pretty good movie. We watched it last night and usually when we watch movies at night we usually don’t make it through the whole thing. Last night though we didn’t want to turn it off because we got so into it. It’s pretty much 4 movies all rolled into one. It was confusing at first but once you begin to understand what’s going on its pretty good.
My rating: 6.5

Tomorrow we play the Cardinals once again, but on our home field. I’m going to get at least two at bats and I can’t wait.

*Ooze with confidence but leave cockiness to the insecure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hunter,

From one Tiger to another, it's great to read that you're back playing ball. I wish you the best.

-Robert (Colorado)

Ashley said...

Okay Hunter...can you give a movie review for 10 items or less? Gary said I should ask you after talking to him yesterday. Bien-echo y felicidades on your first game!! Excitement!! And he told me Drew was visiting soon... have so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

HUNTER KEEP UP THE OOZE IAM TUNE IN ON YOUR BLOG OUT OF SIGHT
AUNT JANET

Anonymous said...

Hunter -

New poll question idea. Flat brim or curved? I enjoy your blog, and am living vicariously through your experience. Keep up the hard work.

BB
Columbia, MO