Monday, March 3, 2008

First full day with Jordan...

Today was a good day. I originally woke up around 7:00 to go down and eat breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised with the La Quinta’s breakfast selections. The one thing that I was worried about was whether or not they were going to have hard boiled eggs, but they did. The one thing that they don’t have here that they had at the Fairfield Inn is waffles. They do however have biscuits and gravy, so I figured that was a decent trade off. I was also happy to find out that they have USA Today’s in the breakfast room. I was worried that with the change in hotels I wasn’t going to be able to continue my morning puzzles out of the paper.

I also found out today that this spring training we get money for food instead of meal vouchers. In years past they have given out vouchers that are worth $9.00 with about 10 different restaurants that accept them. This year since Jordan and I are staying at another hotel we’re getting money. It should end up being a pretty good thing because with the vouchers if you didn’t spend the full amount you didn’t get any change back. This year I’m hoping to maybe pocket some extra meal money, granted it won’t be much but something is better than nothing.

After we got done with our workout today at the field they let us get our 300 yard shuttle conditioning testing out of the way if we wanted to. There were about 10 guys that decided to run it. I ended up running my first one in :53 and my second one in :54. They were the best times out of my group but I think I can do better so I’m going to run it again once spring training starts. My goal is to get the best time in the organization. I really want to show to the coaches and front office how serious I was this off season with getting myself into the best shape possible. I think I can run it a little better because I was dragging a little today from my swimming that I did yesterday. I know that with fresh legs I can get those times down by at least a couple seconds. I hate to make excuses but I guess I just did.

Brett didn’t end up throwing in the big league game today which was pretty disappointing. He said that instead of throwing today he’s not going to be able to throw until Wednesday which happens to be in Ft. Lauderdale again. It’s starting to look like I’m going to have to have a talk with Fredi (Gonzalez, the Marlins manager) about getting Brett some innings at home!

Jordan and I also relaxed at the beach for awhile this afternoon after workouts. We went over to Chili’s for dinner, which is definitely a new one for me. Tomorrow we have our physicals at 9:45. Spring training is finally here, it seems like it’s taken forever but I’m sure it will be well worth the wait.

*”It’s not easy, it takes patience…you got to make sure and do it right.” John Pascucci (one of Drew’s clients at Wilson’s).

No comments: