Monday, March 3, 2008

Change of scenery (still won't let me post my picture)

What a great day it has been! I woke up around 11:00 and took my computer with me over to Duffy’s to catch up on some of this past week’s shows. I stayed for about an hour and watched the Gauntlet 3 and Rob and Big. After I was all caught up I headed over to Vinny’s Pizza and got my regular Sunday pizza. Once I got back to the hotel I felt a little lazy so I headed down to the pool and swam 25 laps of all different kinds of strokes. Swimming can be so hard when you aren’t a very good swimmer. I feel like when I swim all I’m doing is fighting with the water…and it’s one heck of an opponent!

Once I got done swimming I went back up to my room and relaxed for awhile while I watched the Missouri baseball game on gametracker (more about that later). At about 5:00 Brett came and picked me up from the hotel and we headed over to his place where we grilled some sausages and steaks. Along with Lindsey and Brett we were joined by Andrew Miller. Andrew was picked up this off season in a trade with the Detroit Tigers. He threw in the big leagues last year for the Tigers and is a highly touted prospect. He’s a real down to earth guy and you would never guess that he was a big leaguer that signed for a ton of money. I had fun talking to him and just asking him random questions about the big leagues and some of the guys that he had played with. He’s pretty knowledgeable about sports, so for me he’s an easy guy to talk to. He even knew a little about Missouri baseball which is really rare.

Brett brought me back to the hotel at around 9:00 where I received a call from Jordan informing me that he was only an hour away from Jupiter and we could move over to the La Quinta tonight as opposed to tomorrow night. Once he got here it took a couple trips to get all my stuff transferred from the Fairfield to the La Quinta. I think this hotel is going to be a good change of scenery. Some of the plusses include that it’s closer to the beach (it’s right next to the intercoastal), it has a faster internet connection (that means slingbox in my bed), and the TV is bigger and nicer and has more channels. The real test will come tomorrow morning with breakfast. The lady at the front desk says that it’s a pretty good one, it’ll be tough though to be any better than the Fairfield’s.

It’s so nice to see Jordan again. Along with Brett he’s my best friend in the organization. We really seemed to pick up right where we left off from last summer. We were joking earlier that it seems like we were away from each other for a weekend. He’s a great friend that I’ve been able to keep in close contact with over the past off-season.

Now onto the recap of Missouri baseball’s weekend out in San Diego. They ended up winning 3 out of 4 which is pretty good considering the competition they faced. It’s always nice to beat up on California teams. They always seem to think that they’re way of playing baseball is the best and they have the best players and when you’re able to put it to them, like we did a couple years ago in the Malibu regional, it is absolutely amazing. I know they would have liked to come out of the weekend with 4 wins but when it’s all said and done it wasn’t so bad of a weekend. It’ll be interesting where they end up in the rankings after this weekend. I assume that they’ll stay in the top 10 but be around 8 or 9. It’s nice to be able to drop some spots and still be in the top 10.

I’ll have more to write tomorrow. It’s been a long, crazy night of moving things around and getting situated in a new room. Brett also throws in the big league game tomorrow against the Red Sox. Tomorrow should be a good blog.

*Happiness doesn’t come from things that you can hold but rather from things that your soul possesses.

No comments: