Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Rubbing elbow with the stars...

Today didn’t end up being as long as I thought that it would. Usually when we have physicals whether it was in high school, college, or pro ball the physicals have taken forever. Jordan and I got to the doctor’s office around 9:15. At the doctor’s office we went through a dental exam, urine test, blood test, orthopedic exam, and EKG. We got done with that around 11:00 and headed over to the facilities to do sit and reach, height and weight, body fat, and verticals. My vertical ended up being 31”. I know I can get up to a 35” if I was warmed up and had some blood flowing. My body fat was down, in a couple days they’ll post the percentages and I’ll be able to stack myself up against some of the other guys and against myself from last August when I left rehab.

The pitchers didn’t start their first day of workouts until 1:00. I needed a ride back to the hotel and with Jordan being a pitcher and still having about an hour and a half until they began I was able to get about a two hour lift in. It was pretty invigorating, I’m hoping that I can get one more great day of hard lifting in before spring training begins.

The Marlins played a limited Mets squad today. Jordan and I watched from behind the left field fence for about 3 or 4 innings. I brought my camera out with me today so that when the starters came off the field early I could get some pictures taken with them, and that’s exactly what I did. The first picture is with the Marlins 40 something year old left fielder Luis Gonzalez. The second picture is with the Marlins second baseman, and the man with Popeye forearms, Dan Uggla. The last picture is with the Mets shortstop Jose Reyes. In the picture Reyes looks taller than me but I’m pretty sure he was standing on the higher side of a slope. I was pretty surprised to see how big he was; on TV he just looks like another skinny guy. It definitely gave validation to my point that you won’t see too many guys in the big leagues that aren’t physical specimens. I’m looking forward to getting more pictures with some big league stars. I’m also thinking about going to Walgreen’s and getting my pictures made into 8X10’s and having the guys sign them. Either way they’ll be nice thing to put into a recreation room when I grow up and have my own house (along with a certain female).

At the field today they had our groups posted for spring training. I was in group 3 (the high A group) but I’m not going to put much stock into that for one because there are about 10 outfielders in big league spring training and once they start getting sent down it will have a trickle effect among the minor league groups. Also I had the low A manager tell me that he’s trying to get me as one of his outfielders. I’m pretty sure that he likes me and would give me an ample amount of at-bats. Either way it doesn’t matter where I end up I’m going to have to put up good numbers and stay healthy to show the Marlins that I can produce in pro ball.

Jordan and I watched Balls of Fury last night. I thought it was absolutely hilarious but IMDB users thought it was terrible. It’s basically about the world of underground (obviously fictional, at least I think) ping-pong. Christopher Walken plays the ping-pong master and I think that any role he plays ends up being comical. This afternoon we started watching 3:10 to Yuma, a movie that has gotten great reviews. We’re about halfway through and I’m not real impressed with it. It is a Western, and with me not being a very big fan of that genre could be the reason that I don’t like it so far.

Tomorrow the position players that are here have the day off but I’m going to go in with Jordan in the morning because I have nothing better to do and if there’s a chance that I can get better I’m going to take full advantage of it.

If you click on the pictures you can make them full size.

*Sometimes you can make something out of nothing but it would be a travesty to make nothing out of something.

2 comments:

D said...

Dang, look at how skinny your getting... Click on the second picture and see all the wrinkles in your face!you look like an old man

Anonymous said...

don't listen to her.....she just thinks you need her cooking (you probably do!) ;-)