Friday, March 7, 2008

First day of spring training...

Today was the first day of full squad workouts and it was a tiring day. We started off the day at the field with an hour and a half long meeting about expectations and rules. That was probably the most tiring part of the day. Standing for long periods of time wasn’t something that I practiced a whole lot in the off season. Once that was all done with we split up into our groups, which are all on five different fields. The first thing that we did, after stretch and throwing, was bunt defense. This is kind of a boring time for the outfielders because we always end up spending the entire time running bases. It gets a little monotonous but you have to do it. After 30 minutes spent on bunt defense we split off into our defensive specialties. Today for outfield work we started off with some ground balls and worked up to drop steps to our left and right. I’m not sure how long that lasted but it seemed to go by pretty quick. Live batting practice was the next thing on the agenda. I got four rounds with five pitches a piece. I probably took 10 swings and hit the ball hard at least five times. It’s always nice to start off spring training with feeling nice in the box. We have live BP for the next 4 days so I’m definitely looking forward to seeing some live pitching. I figure that the more pitches that I can see of pitchers before we actually start playing games then the better off I’ll be. We ended the day with some regular batting practice followed by a little conditioning. By the time that I got back into the locker room after eating lunch and getting changed I only had about 20 minutes in the weight room. I got a little leg work in, took a shower, and Jordan and I headed back to the hotel.

The Missouri baseball team kicks off a weekend series with Indiana State tomorrow. These kinds of games are what are considered “trap” games. They’re always a little tougher to get up for because you know that you aren’t playing an opponent that as high of quality as you did the weekend before. That’s the reason as to why I think bigger schools struggle so much with mid-week games. It’s tough to get up for a game in the middle of the week that can be surrounded by a series with Texas and Nebraska. The best teams are able to rise to the challenge of every game. Hopefully Missouri goes out the same mindset that they played with last weekend.

Movie Update:
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer- I thought this movie was alright. I haven’t seen all of the first movie so there were some parts of this second movie where I was kind of lost. Jordan and I both enjoyed watching the new age action heroes!
My rating- 6.0

Suburban Girl: I struggled all the way through this movie. It’s a real slow about a young up and coming editor who fall for an older man who is very highly thought of in the book business. The best part of this movie was getting to see Sarah Michelle Gellar in her underwear, other than that it wasn’t very good.
My rating-4.0

Tomorrow’s schedule is very similar to what we did today. The only difference being that during our team time we’ll do something different than bunt defense. I’m going to try to get to bed before midnight tonight; I should be able to considering I avoided a nap this afternoon.

*Drown out negative thoughts with thoughts.

No comments: