Monday, March 10, 2008

New poll question and a near home run.

Today started off pretty early for me and all the outfielders. We had early work with all the outfielders, we worked on drop steps and sinking line drives. Early work usually lasts about 30 minutes and we’re all assigned times to come out early and work with the coordinators. Thursday is our next day for early work, instead of outfield work we have hitting.

Today’s schedule was almost exactly the same as it was a few days ago with one variation. Instead of bunt defense for our team defense we worked on cuts and relays. Our team did really well with this which is always nice because the fewer mistakes you make the less time you spend on the team defense.

We also took live batting practice off of pitchers. Today the pitchers didn’t tell us what was coming so it was more of an at bat, and more game like. My first at bat I got fooled on a change up on a 1-1 count and flew out to centerfield. My next at bat I hit a fly ball to right field that short hopped the fence. It probably would have been an out because it was hit pretty high and would have given the right fielder plenty of time to get under it. I was pretty happy with the swing that I took; I just got under it a little bit. My third at bat was against a lefty, something that I haven’t seen in forever. I saw six pitches but ended up striking out looking. Even though I struck out I felt good with my takes and I saw all his pitches. My next at bat I got to a 3-2 count and hit a line drive into left center. If this was in a game situation I probably would’ve gotten a double. This was my most encouraging at bat of the day. My final at bat against the same lefty I once again got to 3-2 and hit a weak ground ball to the second baseman. When I look back on my at bats I felt pretty good and saw a lot of pitches. I would’ve ended up being 1-5 on the day.

After the game Jordan and I watched a little of the Twins vs. Marlins game. Joe Mauer, former AL batting champ, happened to be making his way towards the locker room which happened to be right where Jordan and I were standing. As you can see by the picture I had my camera with me and he was more than happy to oblige. He was a really nice guy, which stays true to everything that I’ve ever heard about him.

The Marlins started sending guys down from big league camp yesterday. So far 15 guys have been sent down; starting tomorrow our groups will change. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the groups.

Baseball America came out with their newest top 25 poll and it found Missouri at number four. I haven’t really looked into this but I would think that this is the highest a Missouri baseball team has ever been ranked. If there able to keep winning you never know what can happen; I think this is cliché, but the possibilities are endless.

Movie Update:
Heavens Fall- This is a movie based upon a trial of rape by a group of nine black men in Mobile, Alabama. I won’t give anything away but I will say that this was a great movie. It still makes me so mad to think of how black people were treated back during segregation.
My rating: 8.5

Zodiac- This is another movie that Jordan and I watched that was based upon true events. This movie is about the Zodiac killer that began in the late 1960’s. A group of reporters and cops are led in many different directions while trying to figure out who the Zodiac killer is. I don’t want to spoil any of this movie either, but it is also a great flick. If you plan on watching it make sure you have plenty of time on your hands because it’s more than two and a half hours.
My rating: 9.0

Jordan and I have watched a couple really good movies in the past couple days. Tomorrow will be a little shorter day because we don’t have live batting practice. We’re replacing that though with an annual drug testing meeting. A new poll questions is up so make sure you check it out and vote.

*Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.

No comments: