Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Everything's average...

Today has I guess been a pretty average day in terms of everything that went on. Nothing real special happened and nothing real bad happened. So I guess when you put those two things together you get an average day. Even though it was an average day I was still in high spirits because of the simple fact that I got to go to the field for yet another day.

Today was an early day in regards to working out. I woke up at 7:45, got some breakfast, and made the short bike trip over to the field. I got to the field at around 8:45, got dressed and stretched with the 6 other rehab guys. This is where things got a little frustrating. I got back inside and it was about 9:20 and I was ready to get my lift on but there was only one problem…there were 2 big leaguers occupying the weight room. Josh, the minor league strength and conditioning coordinator informed us that the weight room would be open to the minor leaguers at around 11:30. With that in mind I proceeded to do about 2 hours worth of shoulder rehab, forearm work, and core work inside the training room. There were a lot of unhappy minor leaguers, I just kind of sat back and listened and took it all in. After awhile the weight room was open and I took full advantage of it. I was able to get another full workout in today which always seems to be so refreshing. I’m a little worried that once actual spring training begins I might have to back off a little with my working out. I say this because I’m not real sure how hard I need to lift to be able to keep my body in good shape yet not be tired for practices because as everyone knows spring training can get long and strenuous.

I got done lifting at around 12:30 and I still had to buy a little time before the 3:00 start of the Marlins spring training opener. I rode my bike over to the closest Publix and got a turkey breast sub. I sat outside and enjoyed my meal and was even able to leave half of it for tomorrow. By the time I was done eating it was about time to get back so I could catch the first pitch of the game.

When I watch the spring training games I always take my perch behind the left field wall. Once we get going with spring training we always have a lunch break between our morning and afternoon workouts and during that time the big league teams are taking batting practice on the big field so I usually will go over to my spot and watch about 30 minutes of BP. The first picture is of where I watch all the games at. Today the Marlins played the University of Miami. I can only imagine how big of a thrill it has to be for a college kid to be playing against a big league opponent. My college days are only a couple years behind me and I know that if we would have had that opportunity I would have felt like a kid in a candy store. After the first inning of today’s game the sky started to get pretty dark, and it was obvious that it was about to pour (the second picture). Once the first inning was completely over the rain came down and I headed back into the clubhouse. I ended up riding my bike back to the hotel after the rain had stopped and by that time I was ready to get back to the hotel and start a new movie.

The rest of my day has been pretty normal and now I’m in the breakfast room watching American Idol. So far they’ve gone through 5 performances and they’ve all been, you guessed it, average. Tomorrow I’ll include my final opinion of tonight’s show.

If you were wondering the Marlins ended up winning 7-2. It’s kind of a no-win situation for the Marlins, if they win they were supposed to and if they lose then it looks really bad.

*Once the thought of failure has entered your mind then you’ve already failed.


I originally posted this blog but I had to re-post it because of a few things. The first thing being that I forgot to post my pictures! Obviously they're up now, so I hope you guys enjoy those. The second reason being because I just saw the best American Idol performance ever by David Archuleta. As far as I can tell he is heads and shoulders above everyone in this competition, especially the guys. That's all for now...I think.

No comments: