Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Idol is taking off...and an updated poll question

Turns out I left off one of the best restaurants unique to Columbia. I originally had 7 or 8 choices but apparently Blogger only allows you to have up to 5, so I guess it automatically deleted some of the other ones that I had. So anyways, with that said I have reposted the poll question and added Booches and taken off C.J.'s. If you have already voted be sure to put your vote in once again. I give the credit to my Dad, Dave Mense, for pointing that one out.

It was another good day at the field. Got some good cage time in with some big leaguers and got plenty of time in the weight room. As of now there are about 50 people that are attending the "winter workouts". So you can imagine how crowded it can get in the weight room. Luckily about 3/4's of those guys are pitchers so they don't require a whole lot of time in the weight room.

Apparently it's not 70 to 75 degrees and sunny everyday here in Jupiter. It rained for awhile today, but it still wasn't bad. I mean everyone needs a rain day every once in awhile, they make for great napping in the afternoon. Even that though was rudely interrupted by the maid though. I say that like it's a bummer but in reality I love nothing more than clean sheets and a new bottle of shampoo.

The first night of American Idol "Hollywood Week" was on tonight. It was a 2 hour show, so it definitely made my night. I've come up with my own favorites for who I'd like to win and the contestants who I think have a good shot at winning. I'm still not sure of everyone's names, but I'm sure that will change in a couple weeks. Anyways, here are my favorites:
-The 18 year old kid who ran away from his home and has been living in his car for the past year. You can't help but feel for the kid, everytime he gets on stage he just gives it everything he's got. If he makes it to the final 24 I think he has a good chance at winning because of his likability factor that he possesses.
-The Irish girl who made it to Hollywood last year but wasn't able to come because of a visa problem. The now has a half sleeve on her right arm, obviously her most noticeable feature. I like her simply because she can sing with the best. She'll have a good chance of winning because she's easy to remember and her voice is unbelievable.
-The person who I think has the best chance of winning the entire competition is the Australian guy with the shaggy hair. This guy kind of reminds me of a John Mayer type with the way that he performs. This guys seems to have it all; great personality, great voice, and is very charismatic.
-This next guy I'm not sure how good of a chance he has of making it to the final 24 but I think he's awesome. He's the dorky looking kid that wears the black rim glasses and has curly, shaggy hair. If you don't like this kid then there's something wrong with you. His last performance he sang a Josh Groban song and I thought that it was absolutely amazing. I'm not sure he has a legitimate chance of winning the whole competition but I would just love to see him make it to the final 24.
-Last but not least is my favorite competitor, the girl from Joplin, Missouri. This girl has an amzaing story. Two days before her audition to go to Hollywood, she received news that her father had been killed in a car accident. For her to go through with the competition with all of that on her mind was absolutely amazing. On top of that she has a great voice and is a very good looking girl. I'm definitely pulling for this girl to win the whole thing.

So those are my favorites, tune back in tomorrow and I'll be sure and give an update on whether or not my 5 favorites made it to the final 24 or not.

I just saw on the bottom line on ESPN that Stefhon Hannah had been kicked of the Missouri basketball team. I think Mike Anderson has finally seen enough and is going to make a statement by dismissing Hannah from the team. Hopefully this is where Anderson differs from Quinn Snyder. Snyder was, as everyone knows, terrible with handling disciplinary issues. That eventually led to him being forced to resign. Anderson it seems has a good grasp on this issue and doesn't want it to get out of hand before ultimately it is out of his hands. It just makes me believe that Hannah really was in the wrong considering that Darryl Butterfield has been in trouble with the law twice and still remains on the team. I like Mike Anderson as a coach and as a person (he always made small talk with me whenever he came in to the athletic director's office).

I'll save some of my recent movie critiques for tomorrow. Until then remember, when times get tough shake it off and step up. Tough times don't last but tough people do.

No comments: