Monday, February 18, 2008

I'm not a big fan of the new schedule...

Today we weren't allowed to arrive at the facilities until 2:00 because of the start of spring training for the Marlins pitchers and catchers. I'm not really sure why they do this, there are still 4 fields that don't even get used during the morning session. I woke up today at around 10 and just kind of layed around waiting to go to the field. The good thing about how we're doing things now is that there aren't nearly as many guys. For example, today we had 9 hitters as opposed to the 25 that we have had over the past week. We got all our baseball work in on the field, which took about 2 hours, and we headed back into the weight room. The strength and conditioning coordinator had been at the facilities since 5:30 in the morning so he was ready to go home. Needless to say I was only able to get about an hours worth of lifting in. I'm just worried that I'm going to lose some of the strength that I've worked so hard for over the past 4 months. He tried telling me today that you can lift too much. In my opinion, there is no such thing as working too hard. We got back to the hotel around six. I held off on dinner for about 45 minutes before I decided on Subway. The Subway by our hotel has a great deal, $5.00 foot long subs, all day everyday. It's always light on the wallet and light on the fat, definitely my kind of meal. Now I'm here, trying to figure out something to do.

Last night's all-star game ended up being a really good game. The East jumped out to a big lead in the first half, only to see their lead dwindle down to nothing in the second half. Luckily for the East, they had Ray Allen. Within the last 3 minutes of the game the East had three possessions in a row where Allen hit three pointers. Allen's heroics ended up being enough for the East to pull back ahead and stay on top for the remainder of the game. I thought Allen should have been the MVP of the game but the honor went to LeBron James who also had a great game, just missing a triple double. It was definitely the best NBA game that I have seen all year (granted that's a hanful). The best part about the game, in my opinion, was how hard they all played and how competitive the game got. I've seen a lot of NBA all-star games and this one seemd like they were playing for something a little more.

Last night I watched The Queen. The movie gives an inside look at the royal family, in particular Queen Elizabeth II, during the time of Princess Diana's death. I was younger when all of this went on, so a lot of it was new to me. I had no idea that the royal family shunned Princess Diana like they did. What I liked so much about this movie was how they were able to include real footage. They did it in such a tasteful way that sometimes it was hard to tell what was real and what was movie made. This movie has a 7.7 rating on IMDB. I'm not sure I would give it that high of a rating but I would definitely suggest it. It's a good movie with a lot of historical significance.

I still have some time before bed, and there really isn't anything that good on TV right now. I'll probably end up going over to Duffy's to watch some Slingbox. Stay posted...

*You miss %100 of the shots that you don't take.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caught up with all the news. finally. since I don't know much about blogs, I sure hope you are keeping copies of what you are writing someplace other than the blog. It will be interesting reading in 20 years, along with great examples of your writing in case you ever go for a writing job....like movie reviewer!! :-)