Friday, February 1, 2008

Some more of what I do...

Alright, I'm all done working out, done with dinner and am ready to write some more.

Some more about our conditioning...A bunch of the stuff that we do, I'm pretty good at. The other three guys that are down here that are position players are all going to be going to big league spring training, so they're a lot higher in the organization that I am. Basically I'm still trying to prove myself and still working as hard as I can to get to ther point that I want to be. When we run I set my own pace while the other guys make comments about me showing them up, but the way I look at it is that if I took it at a slower pace I wouldn't be doing myself justice and wouldn't be getting any better. So after our conditioning we head back into the locker room. I usually take a minute to take off my cleats and put on my turfs while I catch my breath a little bit. I usually fill up my "Mizzou Baseball" water bottle and grab a protein bar as I get in my lifting mindset.
Our weight room, to be absolutely blunt, is small. With 25 or so guys in it, it becomes even smaller and you find yourself elbow to elbow with everyone. I usually keep to myself and no one really bothers me, I try to get through as much as I can and honestly, as you'll soon find out, there isn't a whole lot of time for chit chat. The devil worshipping music in the weight room gets everyone pumped to workout, all except me. After about 30 seconds I block everything out and get in the zone. At this time it's about noon...An hour and a half later I usually find myself alone in the weight room creating new lifts and keeping my body guessing (I think a very underrated aspect of lifting). With lifting I usually try to vary what I do, but with the limited resources I have no choice but to get creative. At this time I'm usually given a hint to get out of the weight room. Yesterday the big league strength and conditioning guy just started vacuuming right around my feet and a few days ago the trainer asked me if I was almost done because he wanted to go get something to eat. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me, I mean wouldn't you want guys to stay in there as long as they want? I don't need anyone to watch me, I'm a big kid, I know what I'm doing in there. Sometimes I leave the weight room and feel like I haven't done all that I needed to do. But maybe my body needs a little bit of a rest...I'm trying to be an optimist! I usually head back into the locker room and use my stretch band for about 10 minutes. I absolutely have to stay healthy this year and being more flexible is a huge part of that.
When I'm done with all of that, my day becomes a little tricky! Trying to figure out how to get back to the hotel is harder than you'd think. Yesterday I resorted to walking, a few days ago a trainer had to bring me back, and a couple other days I got a ride back form Kyle Winters. My favorite mode of transportation is with Kyle because we usually stop and get something to eat, and I like riding with him because he's a good guy and I like talking to him.
Once I'm back at the hotel, the day really starts to drag on. I try avoiding napping but it's so hard. You'd do it too if you had a comfortable bed and didn't have anything to do for the rest of the day and didn't have any way of getting around town!
After my 2 or 3 hour nap is over I roll out of bed and start to think of the biggest decision that I will make for the day...where to eat dinner. Like I've already mentioned I hate getting ride and being a burden on people so I limit myself to restaurants in walking distance i.e. yum-yum's, C.R. Chicks, Publix, etc.
After dinner I usually come back turn on the TV to ESPN and either get on my life saver known as a computer or workout a little in the room. I usually talk to Drew on the phone for about 30 minutes and try to be asleep by midnight. I fall asleep thinking about the people that I miss and what I can do the next day to vary my routine a little bit.
Tomorrow should be pretty interesting, it's my first off day since I've been back. You know what that mean...a lot of free time on my hands!!!

No comments: