Friday, February 29, 2008

Rough day at the field.

Today I’m switching things up a little bit. Right now the Missouri baseball game against San Diego State is going on and I was in the hotel trying to follow the gametracker but because the internet connection isn’t very fast at the hotel I wasn’t able to follow very closely. So I figured I would just head over to old reliable, Duffy’s.

From what I can tell the first game against California went pretty well. Obviously I’m only looking at the box score, but it did favor Missouri. They ended up winning 7-5 with Aaron Crow getting the win. The big blow for Missouri came in the first inning on a grand slam by Aaron Senne. They ended up pounding out 14 hits; hopefully the bats can stay hot for this second game. Crow looked like he threw pretty well. He gave up a homerun in the first inning as well, but being the competitor that he is it looked like he calmed down just fine and ended up striking out 10. It looks like Ian Berger has started the second game of the double header.

I absolutely loved Friday night games. They always seemed to bring out the best in everyone. Both teams are fresh after a couple days off and are ready to get things going. Each team has their ace on the hill and both teams know how crucial it is to start the weekend off 1-0. My junior year it seemed like the only hitting I did during the weekend series came on Friday nights. I always seemed to get 2 or 3 hits and then the rest of the weekend would go oh-fer. If somehow I would’ve been able to harness what I had on Friday night and take that into every game I would’ve been a lot better off. The good thing for me is that I’m still getting a chance to play and I’m still in search of finding that frame of mind that I need to be in for every game.

Today was a pretty rough day for me. We faced some live pitching, just like we did last Friday. It definitely didn’t go as well today as I would have liked, but that’s how baseball goes. Everything today seemed like it was moving at a faster pace. When I’m able to slow the game down, like I was able to last week, things seem to come a lot easier. The thing about baseball is that the more and more you think about what went wrong you’ll just get yourself worked up and create a headache for yourself. What I try and do is learn from the bad as soon as I can and get it out of my system. Once that happens I try to remind myself about all the positives that I’ve had within the past month since I’ve been down here. When you look at it like that the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. I like to think that the best thing about having a bad day at the plate is that it ends and tomorrow will be a completely new day. The great hitters are able to throw a bad at bat or maybe even a bad swing out of their memory before it’s able to weigh too heavily on their mind. I know I can get to that point, and have been before. Honestly I think that sometimes I over critique what I do when sometimes the events that happen to me aren’t within my control. With me it’s all about knowing that I can compete and succeed with the best.

I also put up a new poll question so be sure and vote. The last poll question about my hair style was kind of interesting. I voted for the short fade look, and that’s the one that ended up winning. If you know me, you know that if I could I would have a different hairstyle every week. I’m probably not going to be able to do that anytime soon so I figure I’ll just stick with my current hairstyle, the short fade.

I tried posting a picture, but for some reason it's wouldn't let me. I'll try again tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be a new day and you can’t ask for much more than that.

*It’s not hard to think negatively, being able to think positively during tough times is what will get you through.

No comments: