Thursday, February 28, 2008

Jupiter is freezing over!

These past couple of days something extremely out of the ordinary has happened, it has been “cold”. Yesterday it was overcast with a little wind and the temperature was in the low 60’s. Today it was sunny and in the low 60’s and tonight it’s supposed to get down into the 40’s. I know, I know…it sounds absolutely crazy to say that that is cold but if you were to see how people down here react to this weather you would think that they’re preparing for an ice age! I was talking to some of the Latinos and they don’t know what to do. One of the guys that’s from the Dominican Republic told me that the coldest it got this past year was the high 70’s. Obviously none of the Latin guys have ever seen snow, which I could never imagine. I couldn’t live in an environment where it was warm all the time, I need change. Being a Midwest boy I’ve learn to appreciate the change in season. We’ll see what tomorrow has in store weather-wise, it should be pretty interesting to see if it keeps getting cooler. I don’t like looking at the forecast either, I like to be surprised!

Today I watched the first couple innings of the Cardinals vs. Mets spring training game. Both of the teams had most of their starters in the game, everyone except for my favorite player of course. For those of you that don’t know it’s Carlos Beltran. I’ve been a big fan of his ever since his days with the Royals. The first picture is of Moises Alou out in left field. I always get excited when there is a marquee player out in left field. I got to see Albert Pujols hit once, saw Jose Reyes hit a couple times. Eventually one of these times I’ll build up enough courage to get an autograph or take a picture with one of the big leaguers. It’s kind of weird to me because I still am such a big fan of a lot of these guys that I get to see play up close. To think that I could eventually play against these guys would be a dream come true. If I am fortunate enough to get that opportunity I will cherish every moment of it and try to stay away from being star struck.

The Missouri baseball team starts off a tough weekend’s worth of competition tomorrow against California followed later in the night with San Diego State. Even though Missouri is ranked #5 in Baseball America’s top 25 I still don’t feel like they’ve reached the level of national respect quite yet. With that said, doing well this weekend, I think, would put them in the same category of the national powerhouses of college baseball. Granted it is going to be one of the tougher weekends of the year I think Missouri will rise to the challenge. It’ll be interesting to see which pitcher Coach Jamieson and the coaching staff decide to start against each opponent. If you go off of what happened last weekend San Diego State will be the toughest opponent, but then again it is college baseball and there are so many things that can happen. I also think that Missouri’s offense will be able to display, on a national scene, what they’re made of. I’m sure a lot of people are questioning the offense after a weekend filled with unearned runs, walks, and hit by pitches. But you know what? You don’t win games by getting a lot of hits and hitting a lot of homeruns, you win games by scoring more runs than the other team. In my opinion if they hit .200 as a team but average 10 runs a game then that’s a great offense. I do think that this weekend they are going to get a chance to swing the bats a little more due to the higher quality in pitching. Hopefully they can prove those naysayers wrong and still be able to put up a lot of runs with a good amount of hits.

One of the neater things with being in the minor leagues is that you play with and against guys who end up being in the big leagues. The way that the Marlins do things, they end up bringing a lot of guys up through the organization. Today was one of my good friend Brett Sinkebeil’s first appearance in a big league spring training game. Unfortunately they played in Fort Lauderdale so I wasn’t able to see him throw but according to the box score it looked like he threw alright. Hopefully the next time that he throws in a game I’ll be able to see him in person.

Ok now onto the part of my blog that you might not like to read but I like writing about anyways, my movie reviews and my take on the night’s American Idol. So if you don’t like reading about those two things there’s my warning.

Last night I watched a couple different movies. The first one that I watched was called Goal!. I thought it was a really good movie. It’s about a young man living in Los Angeles who gets noticed in a recreational soccer game by a European soccer fan. It’s a really good inspirational movie having to do with going after your goals. I’m also a sucker for a movie with good sports scenes, even if they are soccer scenes. This movie had great soccer scenes, and that was enough for me.
The second movie that I saw was Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller. It had some good laughs in it and I’d probably recommend this movie too. Like always Ben Stiller is put into some awkward situations, always leading to a funny moment.

Tonight was the second week on American Idol for cast-offs. The guys that were voted off were Robbie Carrico (the guy with the long hair) and Jason Yeager (the guy with the dark hair with a little streak of blonde in the front). I wasn’t a real big fan of either of these guys so I wasn’t really disappointed. The girls that were voted off were Alexandrea Lushington and Alaina Whitaker. Alaina was one of the cuter girls in the competition but wasn’t real memorable with her performances. My favorites are still around so that’s all that I really care about. Next week it should be 80’s week, so I’m definitely looking forward to that.

The other picture that I posted is of my locker at the field. It’s already a little messy, but hey it’s all good. I figured maybe you guys would like to see what that looks like. I'll start posting more pictures.

Just in case you guys were wondering if my thoughts at the end of the blog are mine…they definitely are. For some reason my dad doesn’t think that I’m smart enough to come up with those on my own. What he doesn’t realize is that my intelligence comes from my mom!

*Striking fear into your opponent’s head is winning half of the battle.

No comments: